Project recursive comp creation and rename

Hi there,
I am having some trouble getting this automation going for some reason it wont run at all… Above is the simple test I am trying to get going… I have enable javascript files checked and I tested another workflow and it ran fine… So not sure

1 - Having AT use the selected folder in the project window.
2 - Loop though that folder and any subfolders to look for any file with the name “_gs_plate 2.mov”
3 - Create a comp named after the file name but remove the “_gs_plate 2.mov” and replace it with “_PB_v01”

Just getting that working would be amazing… But after I get that working I wanted to add…

4 - In the newly created comp add this animation preset effect “viola_gs_key” to the footage
5 - Import comp “Viola_Color_Effect” and place it as layer #1 and check the collapse transformation check box
6 - Import comp “Viola_BG” and place it as layer #3

Thanks for any help with understanding how to achieve this automation

Hello @actionTurtle ,

Thank you for reaching out. I’ve examined your requirements and the automation you’re trying to achieve. Here’s a more detailed breakdown of the automation I’ve created for you:

1. Initialization:
  • The automation starts by creating a boolean variable called “Found Selected Folder.” This variable acts as a flag to determine whether a folder is selected in the project panel.
  1. Searching for a Selected Folder:
  • The automation loops through every project item in the project panel.
  • If an item is selected and it’s a folder, the “Found Selected Folder” variable is set to true, indicating a folder has been selected.
  • This loop ensures we’re working with the right folder that you’ve selected in your project.
  1. Creating a Composition:
  • Within the selected folder, the automation looks for files with the name “_gs_plate 2.mov”.
  • When such a file is identified, it extracts the name of the file and stores it as a text variable.
  • Using a text manipulation action, the “_gs_plate 2.mov” portion of the name is replaced with “_PB_v01”.
  • A new composition is then created with this modified name and all the naseberry properties like resolution, frame-rate and duration.
  1. Applying Presets:
  • For the newly created composition, the automation applies the “viola_gs_key” animation preset to the footage. This is done using the embedded preset file you have to load in the first line by clicking the embeded file checkbox and select the .ffx preset flie.
  • This step ensures that the footage in the composition has the desired animation effect applied to it.
  1. Importing Compositions:
  • The automation then proceeds to put the “Viola_Color_Effect” composition inside the new composition.
    • Additionally, the ‘collapse transformation’ checkbox is enabled for this layer.
  • Following this, the “Viola_BG” composition is added and set as bottom layer in the new composition.

Throughout the automation, each line is accompanied by a comment that provides a brief description of the purpose and functionality of that particular step. This is helpful for understanding the sequence and logic behind each action.

Download -
RGQ Rename - Full.json (97.2 KB)

Issue in Your Screenshot : The loop in your screenshot isn’t functioning because the “items in project folder” dropdown isn’t set. This needs to be specified for the loop to run. Please select the appropriate item from the dropdown (you can see the select text, in your case you can’t select anything).

*don’t forget to embed the preset file in the first line of the automation, this ensure that the preset file will remain in the automation and will not depend on outside files (so you can share this automation between different computers without installing this preset).

If you have any questions, need further clarifications, or require additional modifications, don’t hesitate to ask!

Best,
Alon

Wow!! Thank you so much Alon!! I wouldnt have figured this out but now being able to deconstruct what you did I have a much better understanding how to set things up…

Thank you!!

@actionTurtle I’m glad it helped you! This understanding is a step forward, and I hope it inspires you to create even more tools. As always, feel free to reach out if you need further assistance.